Thursday, February 16, 2012

African Peanut Stew

We've moved, update your links!

Piping hot with a good dose of extra Sriracha hot sauce on top.

Okay, so this isn't authentically African, but I like to call it that because when I think of luscious, spicy, peanutty stew I think of what little I know of Pan-African cuisine.

This recipe came to me from a PPK member.  I can't remember who and I'm pretty sure it's long gone anyway.  So, if it's yours, good work!  And let me know so I can give you credit, since this is your piece and your instructions.  This one is too good not to share.

Infact, it's more of a method than a recipe.  It's pretty hard to screw up, though, so even if you're a novice cook, give it a go.  You'll have yummy, filling leftovers for days!  We've made this so many times with great success each time.

Peanut Stew

Olive oil (~2 tbsp)
1 small onion
Any or all of the following: carrot, potato, sweet potato
A few cloves of garlic (3-5 work well)
2 cups vegetable broth
1 28oz can stewed tomatoes (any kind - even with basil works!)
A few large handfuls of chopped greens (spinach, kale, collard greens, beet greens - whatever you've got!)
Red pepper flakes or hot sauce
A splash of soy sauce
A splash of vinegar (apple cider, sherry, or red wine work the best)
A big spoonful of something sweet (some sugar, stevia, maple syrup - I've even used apricot jam)
A big heaping 1/4 cup or so of peanut butter

Start by sautéeing the onion and garlic in some oil at the bottom of a large pot.  Once they onion has softened and the garlic has become nice and aromatic, add in the chopped root vegetables.  Sautée them for a few minutes until they get a nice little bit of crispiness.  Then add in both the vegetable broth and the canned tomatoes.  Let simmer, covered, until the vegetables are soft (I think it ends up being about 10-20 minutes, depending on how small the chop of the veggies is.)  Once the vegetables are soft, and the soup has thickened a little, throw in your big bunches of greens and stir.  Then add your splashes of soy sauce and vinegar, your hot element, your sweet element and your peanut butter.  Taste and adjust flavorings until it's completely delicious to you!

It ends up being nice and thick, almost like a curry.  It's great, filling and nutritious on it's own, but could also be served over rice, or with bread.  It's great with some more seasonings, too - cumin, coriander, chili powder, cayenne.  And you can literally add almost any veggies to this - I've thrown in frozen peas (at the end), green beans, cauliflower.  This is just such an easy, and intuitive recipe - and it lasts forever, and is a complete meal in a bowl!

----

And look!  A new patch on my apron!  Chicks do dig vegans.


- Crystal

2 comments:

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

I saw this recipe on pinterest. What caught my eye was someone commented that she used fresh tomatoes instead and since I have some from our garden that were getting soft, I thought this recipe was perfect. Made it today and it was delicious! Thank you!