Thursday, October 11, 2012

Curried Butternut Kale Stew

We've moved, update your links!



This is one of my favourite types of meals this time of year.  I love kale, as do many foodies, because it's really delicious and kind of amazing for you.  I feel like a responsible adult when I'm chowing down on kale, you know?

It's warming, creamy, a bit smoky from the fire roasted tomatoes, and excellent with a dash of hot sauce on top (I say that about everything, though) and served over some brown rice.

1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups diced butternut squash
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp curry
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 19 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can light coconut milk
couple huge handfuls washed and torn kale, or a small bunch
salt and pepper

In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat and sautée the onion until translucent.  Add the garlic and sautée for 1 minute longer.  Add the diced butternut squash, stirring to coat in the oil, and cook for 5 minutes until slightly softened.  Add all the spices and a pinch of salt, plus the broth, tomatoes and chickpeas, cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the butternut squash is soft.  Lower heat and add the coconut milk and the kale.  Cover again and let the kale wilt for about 10 minutes, or until it has reduced in size and is bright green but not mushy.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  



11 comments:

Kittee Bee Berns said...

I hear ya about kale, I feel the same way. I also love coconut milk and winter squash so much!!

xo
kittee

Maggie Muggins said...

I like it so much I just bought one of those "I love kale" shirts. Curried butternut squash sounds fantastic!

kitchenoperas.com said...

Oh these are all my favourite things in one stew! I can't wait to try it!!!

Erin M. Chlaghmo said...

Need a fire roaster tomato tutorial now... :/ or is this something you buy? sounds delightful...

Erin M. Chlaghmo said...

roasted*

Trevor and Crystal Carter said...

Hey Erin! You can buy a can of already roasted tomatoes, near the diced/stewed/crushed tomatoes at the supermarket. Not oil packed or anything, just a plain ol' can of diced tomatoes that are fire roasted. So good, they really add a lot of flavour! If you can't find them though, you can substitute regular diced canned tomatoes.

JL Goes Vegan said...

I linked up to you today in my week 2 round-up of awesome Vegan MoFo posts!

Trevor and Crystal Carter said...

Thank you! <3

Made in Sonoma said...

Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Saeed Zia said...

Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
www.jobzcorner.com

Jozelle Smith said...

Didn't have the roasted tomatoes but did have sundried ones so I substituted. Also had acorn squash instead of butternut. It was totally awesome!!! Love this recipe! I served it with home steamed coconut bread!!!!