Thursday, January 17, 2013

Vegan Eats World



I'm super excited about this cookbook.  I finally added it to my repertoire at Christmas and I've just been blown away by everything we've made so far.  You know a cookbook is good when you read it like a novel.

I really liked Pho when I was a meateater.  Since being vegan, I've discovered it's nearly impossible to find a version in a restaurant that isn't loaded with tripe, tendon and other assorted nasties.  Yeuch.

I nearly jumped with joy when I was first flipping through the index of Vegan Eats World and saw a recipe called Sizzling Seitan Pho Noodle Soup (the recipe is in that link).  Trevor made it one day while I was working and he was off work (yeah, I'm a lucky lady, my husband makes me soup that includes broth from scratch. I know).  He said the soup was labour intensive, but the final result was out of this world.

That broth.  Holy crap.  It was sweet, spicy, sour, savoury all at once.  I couldn't stop slurping my broth.  Screw the rest of the dish, that broth!  



Those chunks are both the Coriander Seitan Cutlets from the book, and baked tofu.  Honestly, I preferred the tofu, and I think next time we make it, I'll just make it a Tofu Pho instead of seitan.  

This book also has so much more.
  • Kale, preserved lemon and pomegranate salad
  • Scrambled tofu breakfast Banh Mi sandwiches
  • Greek Creamy Lemon Rice Soup
  • Flying Massaman Curry
  • Sri Lankan Red Lentil Curry
  • Garlic Chive Seitan Potstickers
  • Edamame Gyoza
  • Sweet Potato-Stuffed Paratha
  • Yogurt Naan Griddle Bread
  • Steamed BBQ Seitan Buns
  • Pad Mee Kao
  • Korean Veggie Bulgogi
  • Roasted Gnocchi with Roasted Tomato Caper Sauce
  • Baked Punky Pumpkin Kibbe
  • Roasted Eggplant Masala
  • Pumpkin Churros
  • Vanilla Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango
  • Ethiopian Chocolate Flourless Torte

I hope everyone gets this book because Terry is awesome. 

- Crystal






2 comments:

Cadry's Kitchen said...

I was a tester for this book, and I love it so much! I really need to crack it open and make more from it. I haven't tried this soup, but it sounds amazing, especially the broth. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

vegan.in.brighton said...

I'm so in love with this book. Every single thing I've made has been amazing, I haven't tried the Pho yet though because I'm lazy & I can get great vegan Pho right near my house!