Monday, July 29, 2013

Kale-Sesame Udon with Roasted Beets

Oh, hello!

We're still alive and we're still very much vegan.  Life has been a bit crazy.  I was laid off from my job recently and we've had to put a lot of life plans (including our very first trip to Europe that was supposed to happen this October...sigh) on hold as a result.  The one upside to all of this is I have the time to reassess my priorities in life, and become re-inspired to blog and share something that brings me a lot of joy: food.  The ritual of preparing it, the experience of a well-crafted plate.  

A big thing for me right now is self-care to get me through this tough time.  Forcing myself to keep a routine, get enough sleep, get dressed each day, exercise and eat properly.  Ensuring I take care of those very fundamental things to keep my going, and as Woody Guthrie put it, to keep the hoping machine running.  

We've been doing a lot of quick, easy things like this; tasty and healthy but not super involved.


For the beets, I used the tinfoil beet method from the Post Punk Kitchen.

For the udon, I did the following:

1 tbsp canola oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 head of kale, torn into pieces and hard stems removed
2 packages of Japanese udon (the kind that comes in individual servings and are kind of squishy like this, ensure it is vegan as I have seen them before with weird milk ingredients for no reason)
The following to taste: toasted sesame oil, sriracha hot sauce, soy sauce
Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)

Heat the oil on medium heat in a large wok (you'll need the room, because the kale takes up quite a bit of space before it wilts).  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds just to "blonde" the garlic and infuse the oil a bit.  Carefully drop the kale pieces in, with tongs, flipping to coat in the garlicky oil.  Sautée the kale and garlic until the kale is bright green and nicely wilted, about 10 minutes.  Open the udon packages and break apart the noodles (they will be a solid block) into the pan, with tongs breaking up to coat in the oil and kale.  Cook for 5 minutes.  To taste, add soy sauce, sriracha and just a drizzle of sesame oil, again stirring to coat.  Cook for another 2-3 minutes.  Plate up and top with sesame seeds and, if you're like me, another drizzle or two of sriracha.

- Crystal

3 comments:

Danielle P. said...

I'm so sorry you had to postpone your travel plans — it must be so disappointing... But I really like the way you're taking care of yourself through this tough time, and you may just have created the perfect self-care meal! I can't wait to see that other amazing recipes you come up with :-)

(LOVE that Woody Guthrie quote!)

elleberry said...

Sounds like you are managing your transition really well and I know this is no easy feat. You may already be using services to help with your re-assessment of your priorities and looking at your next work.... If not, there are free services right in London Ontario - Goodwill Career Centre, for one, has great services for any member of the public (I'm biased because I work there but I do believe it is true!) Just call 519-850-9000, ext. 2292 to find out more information. I wish you the best. Thanks for your wonderful blog : -)

Sakk-Chob Kinkhongaroy said...

I noticed that you have lots of yummy recipes on your page and I would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/top-food-blogs.

If you want to add your food blog for get more visit traffic to the list and have your recipes indexed on Alldishes.co.uk, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/add-your-food-blog

Hopefully hearing from you soon,

Thanks,
Sakkarin Sº
info@alldishes.co.uk
www.alldishes.co.uk